We’re BIG fans of Greek food; greek salad, souvlaki, pita, hummus, tzatziki… we love it all! So when we were shopping for things for dinner one day and noticed how many calories are in your average store-bought tzatziki, we were BUMMED. It was no longer on the menu. I couldn’t just give it up though so we decided to just make our own low-fat version. It turned out great so when we had souvlaki for dinner tonight, it inspired me to share this recipe with all you trusty readers!
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce:
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup non-fat, plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- Dill (to taste)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
What you’ll do:
- Mix the yogurt and sour cream in a bowl.
- Grate or finely dice the cucumber. (You can leave the skin on or take it off – it’s your preference.) Add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture.
- Zest the lemon rind into the bowl and then cut it in half and squeeze in the juice from the whole lemon.
- Chop up the garlic into really small bits and add it to the mix. Stir everything up and give it a taste. If you think you want more garlic, go ahead! But be forewarned, we once made it with 3 cloves of garlic and it was way to garlicky for us!
- Add some dill – whatever looks right to your eye (we almost never measure our herbage in anything).
- Add some salt and pepper to taste and stir it all up again!
- Put your tzatziki in the fridge for a few minutes to let the flavours mix together and then serve it however you want. (Sometimes, when no one’s looking, I just have a little spoonful… it’s that good!)